What are rashes?
Rashes often appear as blotches, welts, or blisters on the body. They can be itchy, scaly, dry or red, and can occur in one area or all over the skin. A rash or dermatitis indicates an abnormal change in skin color or texture. Rashes usually result from skin inflammation, which can have many causes. At Skin Wellness Center, we diagnose and treat all types of skin rashes from psoriasis to contact allergy to eczema (to name a few). Occasionally a biopsy may be necessary to make the appropriate assessment to ensure proper treatment.
When should I seek treatment for my rash?
Some rashes may come and go, while others never seem to go away. Most are not life-threatening, but you may have a rash that signals something more serious. If you have a rash and notice any of the following symptoms, schedule an appointment with a board-certified dermatologist (like our very own Dr. Melanie R. Haynes) or go to the emergency room:
- The rash covers your entire body, which could indicate an allergic reaction or an infection
- The rash spreads suddenly and rapidly
- You have a rash and a fever
- The rash is painful
- The rash is made up of blisters or turns into open sores
- The rash is infected, which is indicated by yellow or green fluid, crusting, swelling, warmth in the area, or a red streak coming from the rash
Request treatments in Pinellas County, Florida
Rashes can come in many forms, and treatments and the healing process often depend on the cause. They can take days or weeks to heal, so it is important to seek the proper diagnosis and treatment from a board-certified dermatologist. To schedule an appointment at Skin Wellness Center in Pinellas Park, Florida, call (727) 545-3376 or request one on our website. Our experts can help you improve the overall health of your skin.